Sunday, April 11, 2010

Blushing Barletts

It's ridiculous. I walk into any produce section, thrift or regular store and my eyes immediately begin seeking out things for a still life. Where I live, during winter and for a lot of the year, there isn't much available that is grown locally, and what is on offer is often lack lustre. Imagine my delight when I found these Chilean pears with such a pretty blush. I wasn't able to paint them right away so I put them in the fridge to slow down the ripening process, knowing that once I put them in the "spotlight" to paint they'd surely do just that.

I had the entire thing painted and thought it looked terribly lame so I grabbed one of my fake cherries and positioned it into the arrangement and was satisfied with the result. Then, as much as I love alliterations, I simply couldn't call it Blushing Bartletts and so it is titled A Stranger Among Us oil on linen panel 6"x6". It joins the collection of Random Daily Paintings on my website and like the others it is available for $100. unframed.

No comments:

Post a Comment