Last November, when Win and John were visiting, she and I set to making tandem pieces of art. Just the other day, I finally completed mine ...
|THE EYE OF RA mixed media 24" x 9"|
In 1996, when Bill and I were resting in Bali, after trekking in Nepal, I found some fabulous fabrics. I bought them regardless of the fact that it had been years since I'd sewn any garment - and that hasn't changed! Rummaging through the box, where they have sat all these many years, Win and I were inspired by this fabric ...
|Looks Egyptian, but seriously I purchased it in Bali!|
We selected tall, narrow canvases and a vertical format, then painted the top of the canvas to match that luscious, burgundy background.
|Win applying texture, with molding paste, around "the eye"|
|I'm removing the tape after painting the textured area|
After coating the back of the fabric, with medium, (to prevent fraying) we cut around the heads of the characters on one of the border-like, horizontal panels making an elaborate frieze of them. This was adhered to the canvas with medium.
|The EYE and the frieze|
|Laying down another section of the fabric|
We created ankhs using Sculpey, a type of polymer clay that can be baked in conventional ovens.
|Win painting her ankh|
|This is as much as we gone done, together, in November|
|My ankh, painted and in place|
To see Win's finished Eye of Ra please click here for her post on the project.