Saturday, May 8, 2010

Memories

The best thing about going to The Crossing Resort is gawking, in awe, at the exceptional peaks lining either side of the Icefield Parkway (Alberta Highway 93 north). I love stopping just before Bow Summit to look back and see this, the finest bit of drive-by landscape in the Canadian Rockies ...


On May 5th, 2010, there was still plenty of snow at this elevation; 6000 feet. Beneath the sliver of horizontal white, where the road bends, is Bow Lake which won't thaw until mid June. Our destination is a little beyond where 93 crosses The North Saskatchewan River ...


Miles from nowhere, nestled beneath impressive peaks, the family owned and operated (since 1975 ... when I first had my black and white wildlife prints there for a season) complex is open from April to October.
http://www.thecrossingresort.com/


Bill and I were there to set up my display of reproductions, for the 19th consecutive year! The enormous gift shop has been beautifully rearranged this spring and owner/general manager, Mike Fikowski, has given me this prominent display, the first one you see when you enter ...


Driving away, the following day, I let memories wash over me. Gazing at familiar peaks I thought of so many precious times spent on hikes and trips into them. Of the people who travelled with me and the moments shared amidst this raw, wild beauty. And of how very fortunate I am to mix business with all this pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment