Friday, April 19, 2013

Mail From Gran

The motive for creating this mixed media piece was to enter it in a monochromatic challenge, which is a component the upcoming Claresholm Artists and Artisans Club's 5th Annual Exhibition held at our public library during the month of May.  


MAIL FROM GRAN   mixed media   14" x 11" on cradled wooden panel 


For a while now, when we are away for an extended period and in contrast to our Internet communications, I've been mailing cards (by regular post) to Avery. I wondered if (at 16 months old) Amira was a bit too young for this but since she recently moved so far away, I decided to send her my hand-made cards anyway. I am thrilled by her Mother's reports that the little one truly loves receiving her own mail!   


By the expression on her face, I'd say she enjoys opening and "reading" her mail!

A little on the process ...


I used contact paper to preserve the portrait area while I developed the background

Photo, textured paper and world globe adhered to the panel with acrylic gloss medium

More antiquing by applying stamp pad ink with a sponge, stenciling and stamping



The photo of Amira taken just before she turned one, which was used for the painting ...



Amira at Gran's and Gramps' house, Claresholm, late November 2012


In Photoshop, I desaturated the photo of Amira, coloured it sepia and printed it on semi-transparent vellum paper. So that it would be the "right way around", when I adhered the photo face down, I "flipped" the image before printing. This was in an effort to avoid having the printer ink disturbed by the wet acrylic medium used to stick it down.  It didn't work anyway, as is evidenced by the "leeching" of the ink, seen most prominently as a blotch on the left side of her face. I couldn't live with that mess and so, using oils, I painted over the photo entirely. And then, just for good measure, I stamped on one more dragonfly!

Please see the finished painting at the top of this post.

1 comment:

  1. A truly wonderful portrait, and so true to Amira's soul. I love the floating dragonflies and the globe, representing such a well-travelled young lady! Lovely, lovely!

    ReplyDelete