Sunday, December 30, 2018

Avery's Birthday Painting

Avery is of an age now that she can request the imagery for her birthday paintings. I'm challenged by the topics she selects but because I can paint whatever is asked of me I honour her wishes. I maintain that any artist can paint anything, they just have to want to!


Avery turned 10 on October 16th. The painting presentation happened December 22nd, the day the family arrived for Christmas

Rather than a traditional landscape background, I thought an abstracted, fun, turquoise and copper backdrop would create more magical sensation. The shinny textured bits were made using a commercial stencil and copper foil. I textured the grass with Golden Heavy Gel medium. To preserve the white areas of the horse I cut out a piece of frosted (semi clear) Mac-Tac in the horse's shape to use as a mask ...


The Mac-Tac mask removed from the painting makes for an interesting piece on its own
The background with the area of the horse preserved as white
"Avery's Unicorn" mixed media background, horse painted in oil, 16" x 12" on cradled panel
Ah yes, I think she likes it!
Definitely, a satisfied granddaughter!

1 comment:

  1. I love seeing these process photos, and judging from Avery's face, she's delighted with the results...she's loving her unicorn. Stunning painting, Alice, as always!

    ReplyDelete