Saturday, October 13, 2018

Lake O'Hara 2018

 
Lake O'Hara viewed from Sargent's Point, September 6th, 2018

Lake O'Hara never disappoints. We paint the same vistas and hike the same trails because they are all just so incredibly beautiful. Although I haven't been on all her expeditions this was the 12th year running that Patti Dyment arranged a painters/hikers trip to O'Hara. With the increasing numbers wishing to visit the area combined with Parks Canada's lottery system (to keep the area protected from over use) it has become increasingly difficult to arrange a stay at the Alpine Club of Canada's, Elizabeth Parker Hut. This year, Patti was given seven spots for three nights, September 6th to 9th.

On day one, five of us set to painting the classic viewpoint at Sargent's Point, again. Dave and Sharon Williams arrived the following day.


 
Pat and Bob Alin created watercolour /pen and ink sketches
Ralph Temple joined us for the first time and worked in oils

Patti and I painted in oils
 
We so enjoy working together!
 
Patti's oil from Sargent's Point, 12" x 16", is likely framed and hanging in a gallery somewhere ...

... while my oil from Sargent's Point, 12" x 12", remains unfinished languishing on a shelf!

Day two, we set off on the Oesa Trail with Victoria Lake and Falls as our destination.

Mount Odaray reflected in Lake O'Hara
With Pat on top of Sargent's Rock with Mount Odaray as backdrop

Our lunch spot, Victoria Lake and Ringrose Peak

Victoria Falls, just below Victoria Lake, is a particular favourite with all of us!

Ralph had his own adventure hauling all his oil painting gear, up to Victoria Falls, but ultimately caught up to us. We crammed into what little space there is, at this point along the Oesa Trail, to paint the Falls. Patti, Pat, Bob and I brought our watercolours for  their manageable size and weight. Here I made the worst painting of my entire life. No, you can't see it, my pride won't let me post it. Times like these are needed to keep me humble!
  

With Pat and Ralph at Victoria Falls. Even with my wretched painting I'm thrilled just to be there

Coming down from Victoria Falls, Pat spied this solitary mountain goat

Day three, was cooler, the clouds rolled in and the wind came up but the rain held off. It eventually cleared off entirely. Everyone, except Ralph who opted to paint from the shore of Lake O'Hara, hiked up onto the Opabin Plateau.


On the West Opabin Trail Pat is along side my favourite trees. Mary Lake below and Cathedral Mountain in the background
Pat, myself, Sharon, Dave, Bob and Patti at one of the many pools on the Opabin Plateau
While the rest of us hiked, the keeners (Sharon and Patti) painted.  The larches were just beginning to turn
A larch tree well on it's way to it's spectacular autumn colour
The O'Hara Lodge dock with canoes perfectly posed, on our return from Opabin

Day four dawned rainy and gloomy with no prospect of the weather improving so most of us called the expedition a wrap and caught the 11am bus out. As is always the case, it was a wonderful time leaving us with delightful memories.

I'm over a month late with this post because there was another trip, immediately on the on the heels of Lake O'Hara that presented something quite undesirable. Stay tuned.  
 


15 comments:

  1. Beautiful!!! Just like you! Thanks for sharing your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a stunning post, Alice - the vistas there are magnificent, and the company, as always, engaging. I love seeing all you outdoor enthusiasts doing what you do so well as you add to the legend of artists in the Canadian Rockies. The energy is palpable and the results outstanding. Now pardon me while I go back and drool all over that fabulous colour! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Lake O'Hara, so glad you made it there once again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alice
    A magic place and how lucky we all are to have individuals like you and your artist friends to create your impressions on canvass of it. Having no such talent myself, I am left to capture it through a lens. If you have a moment I have posted a few shots of the area on my Flickr Photostream. Thank you for sharing your blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should love to see your photos of Lake O'Hara but as you come up 'unknown' and you have not provided me with a Flickr link - I can't :-(

      Delete
    2. Alice
      Go to flickr and search Sal LoVecchio under "People" and that should bring up my Photostream>

      Delete
    3. Ah ha - it's you Sal! Thanks for commenting and for sending me to your Flick Photostream. Your photos are always a delight to view!

      Delete
  5. Dear Alice - these are amazing photos of that very special place. I yearn to be there again... It must have indeed been energizing to be amongst your artist buddies. Even your "worst painting" would be a joy to behold!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely stunning vistas Alice. Thanks so much for sharing. Know it's what you love to do!
    Take good care.

    ReplyDelete