Monday, May 7, 2018

Painting With Patti

February 5th, 2018


When we moved back to Canmore, in August 2017, we secured a sweet townhouse in the complex of my dreams, but here I don't have a proper studio. Although I've painted at our kitchen table, I was pleased when Patti Dyment responded favourably to my request for a painting date at her place. Three days a week her large, well lit, open concept kitchen, dining, living room becomes her studio. We had such a good time we've turned these dates into regular events. 


Working on The Towers at Mount Asiniboine, January 22nd
Patti at work on her Towers, January 22nd

Mostly it's pretty serious business, but there is always time for laughter ...


January 22nd

Sometimes we work on the same subject. Such was the case on this day when we both painted Anastasia, from an image off an online paint-the-model photo website ...


February 12th
February 12th

That day I came home and worked on her too-small head, and more, for a further four hours.


She still isn't finished!


With the cradled panels we'd covered, using pretty scrapbooking papers, we launched into the following ...


February 26th, Patti at work on a portrait
Patti's gorgeous portrait
My iris

Patti had the brilliant idea to cover panels with old typographical maps. She brought some from home and since then Bill has coughed up several duplicate maps and donated them to our cause.


March 4th in our Dungeon - the perfect place for this kind of panel preparation

The very next day we were on a roll, both of us finished one painting, so we started another, on the papered panels ...


Patti's magnificent raven, March 5th
My bobcat, March 5th

Next, we both painted a bighorn ram portrait. Neither of us finished the second painting.


March 5th
March 5th
My bighorn


When Bill and I returned, from our month in the Philippines, Patti and I resumed our painting dates. Here we both worked on Bow Lake ...


April 22nd
April 22nd


Although the first paintings weren't finished, we moved on to begin another and worked on different images. By this time of day the sun had moved around to where it was pouring its brilliance in through the skylight. Here we are shifting around the room to escape being directly in the spotlight ...


Patti working on Ha Ling  
I opted to paint Quarry Lake

Now our task is to finish all these starts!



3 comments:

  1. It's such a wonderful thing to see the two of you painting your hearts out in that lovely space. I very much enjoy seeing the difference in your takes on the same subject and am in awe at what you produce. The paintings over the topo maps are particularly appealing! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Win. We do enjoy painting along side one anther. As you know this type of paint-in scenario simply fuels the individuals involved!

      Delete
  2. Such a great dynamic! I have loved the energy you both bring to life, art and friendship. I have enjoyed immensely the time I have spent with the two of you. Someday soon the three of us will paint together again. O’Hara is mystical, Assiniboine divine, but even combined they are far too brief for me. I think Elbow Lake is a for sure day trip this summer. Tent trailer and Boler date a must. See you soon!

    ReplyDelete