Thursday, June 7, 2012

Playing with Win

The Win Dinn workshop, here in Claresholm, last month has liberated me from classical painting and I'm completely sold on exploring the endless possibilities that mixed media offers.  So, when Bill asked me what I would like to tack on to our recent B.C. family camping weekend, without hesitation, I said "To visit Win!"    


In Win's glorious, naturally lit, Creston studio

Although Win did most of the sharing, we pooled our toys and materials as we stormed her studio, unleashed and unrestrained, and we poured our hearts into two days of work/play.  We turned out piece after piece of mixed media delights; most of them unfinished!
      

Win's RED HOT SUNSHINE created on a palette paper transfer with a piece of metallic, red leafing and rubber stamps

Gel textures, fusible fibers and a rubber stamp make up my
MEDIEVAL TANGLE   10.5" x 6.5"

Fabulous colour and texture here ... I'm not sure what Win did to get this!
  
IT LOOKS GREEK TO ME!   9.5" x 6.5"
I brushed, sprayed, splattered and dabbed colour before stamping the scroll panel.
The shimmery fusible fibers are more golden in real life  

In our wander of the town of Creston I saw where the Dinn's PAINTED TURTLE GALLERY used to be.  The sign remains even though there is a very different shop located there now.     

I think this retired gallery owner is a happier gal for the change!

Win encouraged me to make a cheesecloth transfer and the following morning, when it was dry, I peeled the cloth away and was thrilled with the effect.  I love how mixed media takes you on a journey.  With the addition of a couple of palette paper transfers and using a floral stamp, which looked to me like sea urchins, the feel of being underwater was indisputable.  And there just happened to be the perfect space for the turtle stamp. A little hand colouring (doodling) then some embellishments and here is the result ...  


I'D LIKE TO BE UNDER THE SEA   8.5" x 13.5"

Win designed the turtle logo and had a rubber stamp made of it.  I wanted her to have this piece as a memento of her gallery and of me in her studio.  Now that I am home I see that the turtle needs a red eye.  And so, in Photoshop, I gave it one and I've asked Win to "colour it in" on the actual piece.  


Here we are at the end of day two ... the 9-hour day ... completely giddy, cross eyed, exhausted and deliriously happy

To see the entire photo essay of us sharing Win's studio please click here.

2 comments:

  1. We had so much fun, Alice, that I'm sure the RCMP would have been storming the studio, had they only been aware of our illegality!

    It was a wonderful opportunity to play with dozens of mixed media techniques and fodder, and I feel truly blessed to have been a part of it all - now we just need a larger space (maybe a dance hall?), so we can invite all our friends to join in!

    Many thanks for such a delightful couple of play days - I'll be dealing with all those starts for weeks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU!
      I took the liberty of naming your metallic red leafing piece. Please tell me what you named it and I'll change it!

      Delete